eHorseracing.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > eHorseracing.com Powered Horse Racing Boards > Off Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Phar Lap Coming to xbox PS4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
magoo2912 View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner

Online Status: Offline
MBP : 32.60
  Quote magoo2912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 8:15pm
From what lids told me it is complete and utter garbage, do not buy it
robd View Drop Down
Stakes Winner
Stakes Winner

MBP : 12.70
  Quote robd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:07am
it's not a stable management game like this one.

it's like a kids arcade game where you are the jockey and you have to ride the horses so no gameplay whatever.
magoo2912 View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner

MBP : 32.60
  Quote magoo2912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 3:14am
astarisarock View Drop Down
Maiden
Maiden

MBP : 0.00
  Quote astarisarock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 6:07pm
not what we were hoping for
sjmeola View Drop Down
Allowance Runner
Allowance Runner

MBP : 2.70
  Quote sjmeola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 11:30pm
Just bought this game a few minute ago...
excited

SJ
sjmeola View Drop Down
Allowance Runner
Allowance Runner

MBP : 2.70
  Quote sjmeola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 4:55pm
If you are expecting a full emersion horse racing sim then you will be disappointed.

This is not a kids game in any sense. I am finding it more challenging than I ever expected. It's one of those games where you have to complete tasks and win certain races to advance to the next game level. As you move up you get better horses. As you advance you unlock more racecourses. It does have groundbreaking features never seen in a horseracing game.

The race caller actually calls the horses names during the running and gives you a decent idea of what is going on as it unfolds.

You can buy and breed horses and then race and train them to get horses good enough to win the desired races in order to move up. I did get stuck on level 3 for a while and frustration set in until I blew up my barn and bought and created new stock. That was the trick, I needed better horses. I was stuck in the sense that I was trying to win a 50k claimer with a 5k horse.

Haven't messed with online play yet, I can see that you can create horses and post them online for you or other players to race with.

The game looks good visually and has a slight euro feel as to American races.
Races are in meters and not furlongs.

You have a store of some sort where you have to sell things off to make money for the stable. you buy these items or earn them from running in races. examples are:
feed, tool, safety equipment, tack, etc.

You can rename any horse but if you do not combine words that are in the database the track announcer will not call the name but call the post # instead.

I named a horse silent wizard and was surprised to have the announcer call it. so both words silent and wizard are in the word data base. you also can use the name generator until you see something you like. It's similar to tool on YOSS'S site.

The Bad
-----------
I was getting really frustrated with the cut scenes before the race, over and over.
Until I figured out that I can skip them by hitting x on the controller at the right time.

I feel boxed in at times with having to do certain things like breed a certain horse or sell a horse or win a certain race, often I do not have a horse that does well in that race despite being the favorite.

I still haven't been able to master riding in a race. I can win races with a front runner or early presser but it is quite challenging for me and have not won a race with a closer yet. Once a horse is trained to max level it becomes much easier to ride but still not a gimme. In this sense it is really different than any gallop racer game.

It is unrealistic that you may be ridding the same horse over and over and maybe in the same race just to earn money to continue playing or trying to win a desired race.

As far as I know during the running of the race, especially on the lead you cannot look around or see behind you like you can do in GR. if you are on the lead it's hard to tell how far back the competition is, resulting in sometimes getting caught near the wire.

In my opinion it's not what we all want but I feel it is a decent effort since we have nothing as far as horse racing on these consoles. A few more hours of play and I feel I already got my monies worth.

If the online play turns out to be good then it's an added bonus.

I can't call it utter junk because I know I will be going back to it over other games on my xbox1.

I purchased thru the online store for $ 29.99 which I think is fair compared to a lot of games you download and play only a few times. I spotted the disk version for both platforms for the same price on Amazon.

For the price and playability I give it a buy with 3 out of 5 stars..

SJ

Edited by sjmeola - 01 Apr 2019 at 5:34pm
lbailey View Drop Down
Graded Placed
Graded Placed

MBP : 14.60
  Quote lbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 4:58pm
Just picked it up from the Playstation store. Have not played yet
marmac0 View Drop Down
Maiden
Maiden

Quote marmac0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 2:40pm
Sjmeola, do you have to ride in the game or can you play as trainer/manager? Thanks for the review.
sjmeola10 View Drop Down
Maiden
Maiden

Quote sjmeola10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 3:02pm
You have to ride the races.

SJ
marmac View Drop Down
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

MBP : 13.60
  Quote marmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by sjmeola10

You have to ride the races.

SJ

Thanks, back to Starter's Orders.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>