eHorseracing.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > eHorseracing.com Powered Horse Racing Boards > Real Horse Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Justify

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
waremblem5 View Drop Down
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

Online Status: Offline
MBP : 162.70
  Quote waremblem5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 10:52am
Originally posted by tyedye

Pro tip: When it comes to govt/public entities it is extremely, extremely important to even avoid the image of impropriety, much less the impropriety itself. As a contractor this is something that is beaten into our head every year during compliance training. If it may be even a potential conflict of interest, report it. May look even slightly askew? Don't do it...report it to legal.

This was probably true in the 90s. Not now. People have the attention span of hummingbirds today. The news cycle is 48 hours. Therefore, it is far more practical to never apologize and never admit guilt to anything. You can wait out the twitter storm and you will have won. There will be no investigation because what can you investigate? How are you going to test feed from 2 years ago? There will be no sanctions because, again, as I have stated repeatedly, there is no national organization the CHRB is subject to. Justify will face no disqualification because the board already made their ruling and again - there is no Supreme Horse Racing Court to overturn it. Baffert will face no suspension for the same reason. Major industry players (which is what the OP wanted to hear about) have exonerated Baffert and Justify, so guess what? He has been exonerated. Or to quote a brilliant politician, "complete and total exoneration". If anyone wants to continue wringing their hands and cursing the "elites" who run our institutions that's fine. It's America, you have that right. But Baffert has been exonerated and the general public will have forgotten about this by the time Monday Night Football rolls around.
Author of The Third Bride and Bloodflowers, Breeder of Horses, Painter of Miniature Armies
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

Quote waremblem5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 12:02pm
This is an excellent article from the LA Times exonerating both Baffert and the CHRB. In point of fact, the CHRB did nothing illegal or preferential. They conducted an investigation and dismissed it. This wasn't even an act of drugging it was a case of poisoning. Further the classification of scopolamine was downgraded prior to the investigation to a non-disqualification offense because of known environmental factors. It seems the only people getting hysterical about this are radical members of PETA which may provide some illumination into why the original article was published in the first place.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-09-12/justify-failed-drug-test-kentucky-derby
Author of The Third Bride and Bloodflowers, Breeder of Horses, Painter of Miniature Armies
iant View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner

MBP : 123.40
  Quote iant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 2:20pm
The article causes many issues for the CHRB. The first that the last person who failed a drug test had his licence removed for past violations this included. double standards. The Bloodhorse article is far batter to read non biased.
jm23stable View Drop Down
Maiden
Maiden

MBP : 5.30
  Quote jm23stable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 2:20pm
Here is why I truly believe nothing was said or done about and it has NOTHING to do with it being Baffert.

Scopolamine, had already been downgraded from a class 3 substance to a class 4 because it had been determined that Scopolamine is naturally found in Jimson Weed which grows wild in California and doesn't influence performance. Also, prior to Justify testing positive for Scopolamine, 4 other trainers based at Santa Anita had their horses test positive with the same results as Justify, their cases were also dropped.

I don't know how many people here are in the racing business as I am but I can tell you that PETA is behind this story breaking out. Someone in the racing media is a PETA member but perhaps we will never find out who but with 4 other trainers testing the same ONLY Justify and Baffert were targeted because he was the bigger name from the other 4 trainers.

Now, some say, "Why wasn't the failed test made public as it should have been" True, they do have to be made public but ONLY if the test becomes final and a fine and suspension is handed out. Bafferts test was dismissed therefore, doesn't have to be made public because there is no fine or suspension as with the other 4 trainers. Now let's all think about it too, if Justify had illegal drugs in his system, how come he never failed test after the Derby, Preakness and Belmont? I mean, he handled those fields with ease. The Scopolamine wasn't going to stay in his system all that time and undetected.. This story should have never broke out but like I said, PETA is trying to do everything possible to break this sport down.
supertaffy View Drop Down
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

MBP : 23.70
  Quote supertaffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 10:23pm
PETA is definitely behind it and sadly no one will bother to learn the facts and only read the headlines. Anyone who actually works with racehorses would know this is just making a mountain out of mile hill to make horse racing look bad. They already killed dog racing. Horses are their next target. And to be fair they do have fuel in some areas. But Justify isn't one of them the vets can tell from the blood tests it was contamination that's why they dismissed it. But you won't see that in any headlines
Diabolu's Reverto - 2 Time Breeder's Bowl Turf Mile,
Pinchingdale-BB Sprint Winner
Settle for Satin G1 Sand Castle Classic Winner,
Pretty Fly G1 Glenn Handicap,
Diabolus Advocatus G1 Locksmith
beisbol View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

MBP : 101.50
  Quote beisbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 1:55am
The PETA angle is interesting - is anyone seeing concrete facts, or is it just speculation based on what they've been doing in California already?

I know a guy who knows this Joe Drape character... it would be great if he could leak some information to a friend (anonymously) to get a better read on the author's intentions vis-a-vis activism / sensationalism / clickbait impresario.

Horses who win races and stuff.
iant View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner

Quote iant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 3:32am
I think it is very easy to blame PETA and not look at good practice.

In greyhound racing did PETA dig the holes and bury thousands of dogs each year?

If you give them the rope they will hang you.
iant View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner

Quote iant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 3:40am
Good reading

From my perspective, this was not handled appropriately by the CHRB, but, in my view, Baffert and Justify do not figure in the real story.

Read this on it's own before reading the rest of the article.
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

Quote waremblem5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 8:01pm
As I said - the news cycle lasts 48 hours. Baffert was exonerated. No one cares about this story anymore.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345