eHorseracing.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > eHorseracing.com Powered Horse Racing Boards > The Backside
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

My First SW!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
shilohfire View Drop Down
Allowance Runner
Allowance Runner

Online Status: Offline
MBP : 2.60
  Quote shilohfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 11:23pm
Congrats! Nice colt! 
cvbear View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

MBP : 194.30
  Quote cvbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 12:34am
Before the end of the year you should:

1. Stretch him out.
B. Try the grass.

Not only are those general ideas for every horse, but yours in particular might have some turf ability in that pedigree. It couldn't hurt him, and going forward it can only toughen him up.

I'd also call it a year after start 6 or 7, and give him time off until February. He'll relish the vacation, and maturity should take care of the rest. I'm a proponent of the 5-race juvenile season, if you start early, because you don't want to overdo it and ruin him going forward by asking too much too often of him. There's time to try and make him a star, so don't rush him.

Good luck. You always remember your first, and usually your second comes along very quickly. Congrats!
CVBear Stables: 2012 Sprint Champion Tolleson, 2018 Sprint Champion Auditorium, 2016 BB Dirt Mile winner River Of Doubt, Grade I winners Jesus Walks, Nights On Broadway, Sashay Shantay, and more!
bkrmaidens View Drop Down
Maiden
Maiden

MBP : 0.90
  Quote bkrmaidens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 12:58am
My gut is to strike back while the iron is hot. Find another stakes race in 4-6 weeks for him and see if he can bag another victory. Extra rest is great if he turns out to improve as a 3-4 year old, however why wait when you know he can take down another 1-2 stakes races as a 2yo.

His dosage hints at him liking more distance, so testing him at a mile might be a good call too.

You could even give him a shot in a graded race, however his speed might not be quite enough yet at that level and you'd have better odds back in stakes. However you never know if he has more in the tank and might get you your first graded win.

Good Lick!
nextbonus View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

MBP : 129.20
  Quote nextbonus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 1:42am
Originally posted by courtbo16

I'm guessing you mean where the jockey part is, where I set his speed?

Yes. Early Speed : 60 Effort : 100

A very large % of my better horses with racing styles similar to yours improve when setting start speeds between 40 and 60.

And I have reconsidered my previous advice. Go ahead and try him in another stake or graded race.

You have done a fantastic job selecting races and spacing them out. Continued good luck!

Home of 2019 2000 Guineas Champion Kennedy Camelot
courtbo16 View Drop Down
Allowance Runner
Allowance Runner

MBP : 3.70
  Quote courtbo16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 12:09pm
Iā€™m not sure that I can quote and reply to you all at once...sooooo, THANK YOU!!!

I think I will try him once more this season in a stakes at a mile! I already set his early speed to 60 šŸ˜‰

Then what is better, send him to the farm until after the first of the year, or just let him sit but not in training?

Thank you guys again so so much for the advice!!
nextbonus View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

MBP : 129.20
  Quote nextbonus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by courtbo16

Iā€™m not sure that I can quote and reply to you all at once...sooooo, THANK YOU!!!

I think I will try him once more this season in a stakes at a mile! I already set his early speed to 60 šŸ˜‰

Then what is better, send him to the farm until after the first of the year, or just let him sit but not in training?

Thank you guys again so so much for the advice!!

It makes absolutely no difference whether the horse is in active stable or at the farm. Farming may be cheaper or more more expensive depending on how many you have on the farm. The more horses, the higher the cost.

If you have others on the farm check their daily charge and decide accordingly. Otherwise, just leave him be.   
Home of 2019 2000 Guineas Champion Kennedy Camelot
given View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner

MBP : 41.00
  Quote given Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 12:53pm
Congrats, that is awesome!! Way to go! I'd be looking to run in a graded stakes at 8f+ to see if he is a Derby contender!
beisbol View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

MBP : 101.50
  Quote beisbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 1:21pm
Hooray! Put him on the Derby trail, get the win, and make Given cry.
Horses who win races and stuff.
trooper7 View Drop Down
Stakes Winner
Stakes Winner

MBP : 6.90
  Quote trooper7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 8:50pm
Congrads.

I had my 1st 20 yrs ago. Still hold that horse in reverence.

Home of 1999 BB Turf Classic winner. 3rd 2001 BB Turf Classic...WRITER ORANGE
Naylja...Multiple G2 Winner
Deactivator...Multiple G2 Winner
Landlubber...Multiple G2 Winner

fabman View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner

MBP : 25.20
  Quote fabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:52pm
Congrats! The first one is always super exciting.
Fabman Farms is home to 2008 Horse of the Year Basketball Jones
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>