eHorseracing.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > eHorseracing.com Powered Horse Racing Boards > Off Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Any help on picking a dog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
duanecrisp View Drop Down
Graded Placed
Graded Placed

Online Status: Offline
MBP : 11.00
  Quote duanecrisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any help on picking a dog
    Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 9:49am
for my 6 year old daughter would be greatly appreciated.... My daughter lost the only dog she new last year at the age of 11 and now she's asking for another... We had a mixed lab breed before who was nearly 80 pounds... Looking for a smaller breed that is good with kids and house friendly...
Looking for a dog under 40 pounds that won't trash the house and easily trainable...
pagasus View Drop Down
Graded Placed
Graded Placed

MBP : 17.40
  Quote pagasus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 11:27am
I would suggest a miniature schnauzer.  They are small and make good house dogs.  They are wonderfully intelligent little dogs and all of the ones that my family has had  have been easy to train and wonderful with children.
The only drawback is that they need taken to the groomers to be groomed every 3 months or so.  You can get around that by getting a pair of clippers and learning how to groom them yourself.  At least that is what my mom finally did with her two.  She learned how to clip them and now does so regularly. 
If she does have to take them to the groomer every so often (nail clipping) and they just so happen to need a grooming,she has them given a "modified" cut.  Not like the show dog cut but something thats easy to take care of for a house pet.  You could always ask about that should you take the dog to be groomed.
I've had other dogs in my life but I can say once you have a mini schnauzer, they will steal your heart and ot will be hard to have any other  kind.

One more thing. Schnauzers don't shed Smile

Hope this might help
docoz View Drop Down
Stakes Winner
Stakes Winner

MBP : 8.30
  Quote docoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 2:12pm
I would suggest getting one from a shelter if that is feasable, they quite often have a large amount of dogs up for adoption.

If you want a purebred I would suggest going to an all breed dog show and meeting a bunch of the breeds and talking to the owners. Remember though the owners will be a little biased towards their own breed so look at as many different breeds as you can. Also some breeds of show dogs are quite different than others in their same breed, an English Setter show dog and a hunting English Setter are almost 2 different breeds.

I would look into some breeds that at first glance may not seem appropriate too, Some breeds like the Giant Schnauzer may be as good for you as the Standard Schnauzer or the Miniature Schnauzer. Also the Spaniels may be good, English Springer or the Brittany are both wonderful dogs but can be a handful when young. A miniature or Standard Poodle may be just what you are looking for once you meet them in person, very smart non-shedding and non allergenic.

Good luck and I hope you get the perfect companion.
ledwith View Drop Down
Graded Placed
Graded Placed

MBP : 19.60
  Quote ledwith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 6:18pm
Hi Duane!

I was reading your post...and anything we will tell you is going to be subjective breeds wise (everyone has its favorites for their own reasons and experiences). I would suggest  you to visit the American Kennel Club page and look for new owners section. They also have pictures of different breeds and contacts/people where you can go ask anything related to the breed you are interested in.

Also, I would like to say a couple of things about getting a new dog:

1. Do not ever buy a dog from a puppy store (99% of the dogs there are coming from the puppy mills so you do not know what kind of problem you are getting into and you are most likely supporting cruelty)

2. Most of the register breeds  (in AKC) in almost all states of US will have a Rescue Club of the breed. Either AKC or the Official Breed Club (i.e. American Boxer Club, Bichon Frise club of America, etc)  will have info on your closest Rescue club.

Usually when you get a dog from a rescue club you might have to pay between $100-200 same as getting a dog from the Animal Shelter or Petsmart or Petco. In any of the cases you will be helping out and bettering the life of a dog...

More info:

a) any person you contact from the AKC list would love to give you information about their breeds (is like in the sim that we love to talk about our nags and their most little accomplishments)

b) Before going into any breed, make sure you know a lot the breed you are getting into. In my case I love Bull Terriers (General Patton's Dog) but they have characteristics that do not allow me to have them inside my house 24/7: They are incredibly strong in all senses; they will destroy anything they chew on, they even will fracture other dogs that they are playing with not because they want to hurt them is just because their bite is so strong that just other bull terriers will be capable of handling. They are quite hyperactive and if you do not keep them busy they develop nasty habits.

I guess what I am trying to say is that before going and getting a new breed for your princess , take sometime and do the research (reading and asking questions to people that have those types of breeds you like) if you do this your family will enjoy and infinite moments of pleasure and fun.

Links:

http://www.akc.org/future_dog_owner/index.cfm?nav_area=future_dog_owners

http://www.akc.org/breederinfo/breeder_search.cfm

sdubya View Drop Down
Allowance Runner
Allowance Runner

MBP : 4.30
  Quote sdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 10:51pm
You could always get a Greyhound- pays for itself
The ÃÃ
alishan View Drop Down
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

MBP : 28.50
  Quote alishan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 11:26pm
Probably not much help to you because there not really a small dog but, I have a Kelpie and let me tell you it is the most loyal and easily trainable dog I have ever had.
flagdown View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner

MBP : 48.30
  Quote flagdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 4:03pm
Ledwith gave you some great advice. To narrow down your choices, you can go to http://www.selectsmart.com/dog/

Be sure to talk to other owners, breeders, rescue groups, etc. before you make a decision, and of course do a meet and greet with the dog.

Good luck!

Edited by flagdown - 18 Nov 2009 at 4:04pm
testbarn View Drop Down
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

MBP : 36.10
  Quote testbarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 4:18pm
"AUSSIE" aka Australian shepard. is my vote! they are very loyal dogs and trainable.Clap
"MINNESOTA TESTBARN" Residency
The "Memorabilia" Residency
**ACCEPTING "NEW" RESIDENTS***
http://www.minnesota-testbarn-residency.com
supertaffy View Drop Down
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

MBP : 23.60
  Quote supertaffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 10:06pm
Aussies need a lot of excersize and attention. If you want something friendly trainable and medium sized go for a King Cavalier Charles Spaniel. There small but not to small that a kid would squish them. Sweet and dont bite, playful but do not need tons of excersize. also very willing to please.

another aspect to look at is gender. they say male dogs fall in love with you, female dogs just love you. I personally like female dogs and male cats. nutered of course. their coats are longer but a brushing once a week takes care of most of it and you can just shave it in the summer.
kingman View Drop Down
Maiden
Maiden

MBP : 1.20
  Quote kingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 9:54pm
Being a dog trainer most of my life , the best advice I can give you is obtain the best suited breed for your current and immediate future needs . I prefer the over-the-top police type German Shepherd lol ... but thats me :D . 

When i trained field dogs i really liked the Springer and Brittany Spaniels ... very intelligent dogs and willing to please . Please do keep this in mind though ... NO BREED comes pre programmed to sit , stay and potty outside ; thats YOUR job as the owner to teach . Look into crate training as its a very valuable tool to use if done correctly . Transport to and from the vet will be that much more easier as well as local family weekend vacations .

TAKE THE NEW PUPPY TO PETSMART / PETCO  ASAP !!! The more your new puppy sees the better off it will be socializing . There is nothing worst than some super freaky fear biter lurking in your house when guests come over  LOL . If you have any issues starting up nip it in the bud immediately . You as the trainer have a 2 second window to correct any bad behavior and the rule of thumb is : It takes just as long to correct a problem as it has existed ... so have a plan in mind of immediate and future behavior . If you dont want dog hair on your couch ... dont allow the dog on it  from jump street lol LOL . Also try to feed that new dog from your hand as much as possible , hands always give as a rule ... makes taking away socks ... bones from the garbage etc easier later on :) .

Be aware ALL puppies go through a teething phase . Frozen ( RAW ONLY ) bones in the freezer will numb the gums and give the pup and outlet for excess energy . Go visit your local deer processing plant and see if you can snag bones for this purpose . They should be FREE as they have to pay someone to haul the stuff off . Freeze them individually on a cookie sheet in the freezer before packaging them up to avoid the dreaded "SUPER BONE" that you have to beat apart . Do yourself a HUGE favor and give this treat in the dog crate . It reinforces the wellbeing of bein in the crate #1 and #2 localizes the mess for easier cleanup . Bone tip #1 : Use a command of either " inside " or " quiet Time " when treating the bone in the crate ... will pay dividends later on for automatic dog obedience to the crate Thumbs%20Up . If you have any questions etc dont hesitate to send me a message here and good luck with your puppy breed choice .
Home of GI Winners : Summer Wine , K.M. Red Rocker . GW Stevieboy , Thorns of a Crown , Summer Struck , A.P. Assault
 Post Reply Post Reply